USA Department of Defence - Test Method Standard
- 1.1 Purpose- The purpose of this standard is to provide general guidelines for procedures, equipment, physical conditions, and terminology for determing the ballistic resistance of metallic, non metallic, and composite armor against small arms projectiles. The ballistic test procedure decribed in this standard determines the V50 ballistic limit of armor.
- 1.2 Application- This test method standard is intened for use in ballistic acceptance testing of armor and for the research and development of new armor materials. The ballistic test method is applicable to the following types of armor:
- a. Body armor.
- b. Armored seats for aircraft and ground vehicles.
- c. Crew station armor for miltary aricraft.
- e. Transparent Armor, such as windows, windshields and vision blocks for aircraft and ground vehicles.
- f. Bulkhead armor for shipboard use.
- g. Structural or integral armor for use on ship exteriors.
- h. Armor for miltary tactical shelters (AFWL-TR-82-4163).
- i. Visors for eye protection.
- j. Armor foo potential space applications.
- k. Armor for light and heavy combat vehicles and structures.
- 1.3 Limitations- This standard has the following limitations.
- a. When specified by the procuring activity, ballistic acceptance of armor may be based upon pass/fail or accept/reject criteria other than the V50 BL(P) ballistic limit method contained herein.
- b. Miltary activities or DoD contractors may use in-house ballistic test facilities and equipment not covered by this standard. (Se MIL-STD-1161).
- c. This standard does not take precedance over nor supersead armor specifactaion ballistic procedures.
- d. Unique requirements for ballistic testing of specific end-items not covered in this standard should be specified in the contract.